Saturday, May 28, 2011
Luella and Brenda
I have two African-American students from the Miskito coast of Nicaragua. From the web: "100,000 people speak a second language called Miskito Coastal Creole, which is a mixture of Miskito, English, Spanish, and African languages that arose after colonization." They learn Spanish in school. Luella is an older woman who had grown up in a stilt house overlooking the lagoon. She spoke English and came to class to learn how to write. Brenda is a much younger woman with a 9-year-old son. Luella and Brenda are both very mild mannered and kindly. Luella means "women warrior." Brenda means "sword."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
With due apology, it is good that there is a contrast with their names and behavior otherwise you would be in a great trouble.
ReplyDeleteThey sound wonderful! I have never had students from the Miskito Coast. Wow, so they are trilingual? (English, Spanish, Miskito)
ReplyDeleteI have been getting a few Nicaraguan students for the first time. I wonder why they are appearing in LA now . . .