I always have a Maria in every class, I usually have a Jose, and I somethings have a Jesus. I like it when they sit next to each other and I can call on Jose, Jesus y Maria.
Jose is a well-known name for Mexican people. There are five people all name Jose in my boyfriend’s family. When I asked him how come you didn’t change your name, he said to me, because it is a powerful name. On the other hand, the other name everyone share is Jessica, I always heard at list one person yell out for Jessica everywhere I go. In some Asian cultures, the siblings are the only ones that only have one word differently from each other that how people distinguish their relationship.
This is so funny! at times there are usually 3 students named Maria in my classes. when the teacher calls "maria," all 3 people answer at the same time. Maria is very popular in Latin countries because they are named after the Virgin Mary.
As I understand it, it's done to honor the religious figures, and also to protect the child, isn't that right? Oh dear, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. My students always laugh when I say the names together, either Jesus y Maria, or Jose, Jesus y Maria.
One semester I had SEVEN Marias in one class. I would come home from work and my husband would say, "So how are the 7 Marias?" I used to try to call on them as Maria 1, Maria 2, Maria 3 but then it got too crazy and I couldn't remember who was which. So I went for the middle name option, (Maria del Carmen,etc) This was the one time that I was glad that my students don't all come to class everyday!
Very interesting observation. I have to get used to calling my students' names by their direct phonetic sound translation of their Chinese names. Still feels awkward sometimes, as I am not supposed to speak Mandarin in the class.
Jose is a well-known name for Mexican people. There are five people all name Jose in my boyfriend’s family. When I asked him how come you didn’t change your name, he said to me, because it is a powerful name. On the other hand, the other name everyone share is Jessica, I always heard at list one person yell out for Jessica everywhere I go. In some Asian cultures, the siblings are the only ones that only have one word differently from each other that how people distinguish their relationship.
ReplyDeleteThis is so funny! at times there are usually 3 students named Maria in my classes. when the teacher calls "maria," all 3 people answer at the same time. Maria is very popular in Latin countries because they are named after the Virgin Mary.
ReplyDeleteAs I understand it, it's done to honor the religious figures, and also to protect the child, isn't that right? Oh dear, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. My students always laugh when I say the names together, either Jesus y Maria, or Jose, Jesus y Maria.
ReplyDeleteOne semester I had SEVEN Marias in one class. I would come home from work and my husband would say, "So how are the 7 Marias?" I used to try to call on them as Maria 1, Maria 2, Maria 3 but then it got too crazy and I couldn't remember who was which. So I went for the middle name option, (Maria del Carmen,etc) This was the one time that I was glad that my students don't all come to class everyday!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting observation. I have to get used to calling my students' names by their direct phonetic sound translation of their Chinese names. Still feels awkward sometimes, as I am not supposed to speak Mandarin in the class.
ReplyDelete